- 1 cup butter
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- ¾ cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Whipped cream frosting:
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
Make your cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350º F. Grease and flour a 9×13″ rectangular pan.
- In a small bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in flour mixture alternately with the milk on low, mixing just until incorporated. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped. Don’t overbake!
- Let sit for 15 minutes before turning out cake onto cooling racks.
Make your frosting:
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract in mixer and beat until smooth. Slowly add in heavy whipping cream and beat until whipped and fluffy.
Assemble your cake:
- Place cooled cake on a serving board and slather in frosting, covering all edges and smoothing.
- Create a flag design by making a square at the top left corner out of blueberries, pressing Honey Bunny Grahams into the frosting to act as the stars on the American flag. Lay sliced strawberries in horizontal lines to mimic the stripes. Serve!
Visit 40 Aprons for more of Cheryl’s delicious recipes.