BERNIE'S BITES - JALAPEñO MAC N’ CHEESE GRIDDLE CAKES
Makes approximately 20 cakes
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Milk (plus 3 tablespoons for pasta preparation)
- 2 eggs
- 5 shakes of Hot Sauce
- 2 Jalapeño Peppers, diced*
- 1 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 box Annie’s Macaroni and Cheese
- Butter for pan (plus 2 tablespoons for pasta preparation)
- Prepare the Annie’s Macaroni and Cheese according to the directions on the box and set aside.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, onion powder, sugar, salt and pepper into a medium bowl.
- Whisk the milk, eggs and hot sauce together in a separate small bowl until combined. Add to the dry ingredients along with the peppers and cheese and mix to combine. Fold in the macaroni and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Heat a small tab of butter (per batch of cakes) in a large skillet set to medium heat until melted. Laddle 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan per cake. Don’t overcrowd the pan with too many cakes and cook in batches.
- Cook the cakes until firm and golden brown on each side (about 2-3 minutes per side-should be cooked all the way through and not gooey). Keep first batches of cakes on a sheet pan in the oven to keep warm. Enjoy!
Serving suggestion: try topping with pulled pork sauced with Annie’s Naturals Sweet n’ Spicy BBQ Sauce and Annie’s Naturals Buttermilk Coleslaw!