Serves 8. From Nicole Filizetti, Vegetarian Times Recipe Contest winner
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4cup diced carrot (1 carrot)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground yellow mustard seed
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 tsp. rubbed (crumbled) sage
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup Annie’s Naturals Cowgirl Ranch Dressing
- 8 whole-grain biscuits or 4 English muffins
- Bring lentils and 3 cups water to a boil in 2-qt. saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 30 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper, carrot, and garlic, and cook 5 to 8 more minutes, or until vegetables are tender but not mushy. Stir in flour, black pepper, paprika, mustard, red pepper flakes, and sage; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring after each addition. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until gravy comes to a gentle boil. Remove from heat, and stir in ranch dressing and drained lentils.
- Split biscuits or English muffins. Lightly toast English muffins, if using. Place biscuits on plates, and top with gravy.
Tip: For an unusually light take on a decadent breakfast favorite, serve this gravy over whole-grain English muffins rather than biscuits. You’ll shave an extra 100 calories off your meal, and the crispy texture goes great with gravy.
Cowgirl Biscuits & Gravy,